As a child, while many dreamed of becoming a firefighter, doctor or princess, there were a few of us who had a completely different dream: to have our own store. A store with a flashing sign and a crate that "clicks" each time it is closed. Many have finally trod a completely different path and the world may not have needed as many ice cream stores. But the fact remains that this store could have been damn beautiful! Today, we are going to remedy this injustice by learning how to make a luminous sign letter.
- a drill - a glue gun - a wood saw - a drill bit the diameter of the base of the globes - a ruler - a tape measure - wood paint (two different colors) - a brush - wood screws - zinc plated steel chair brackets - a screwdriver - a pencil - an MDF panel at least 10 mm thick (we used 15 mm) - a light garland (you can find garlands of 20 LED globes for less than 30 € online) Budget: around 80 € Duration: around one day
1. Start by tracing then cutting out the shape of the desired letter in the MDF panel. In our case, we have chosen to create a letter 50 cm high.
2. The cut letter will be surrounded by perpendicular edges in order to hide the threads on the back and give a deep effect on the place. Take the measurements on all sides and cut out all the edges with a width of 12.5 cm.
3. With a pencil, mark the future locations of the globes. Take the drill bit and drill a hole at each location. The drilling must be done from the right side and not from the back so as not to leave a trace.
4. In the MDF scraps, cut rectangular pieces of about 8 x 4 cm. Their number must be equal to that of the globes. Drill a hole in the middle of each piece with the drill bit, then cut them in half crosswise. These elements will be used to keep the bulbs straight on the back of the letter.
5. We will then fix all the edges on the letter leaving the same depth on each side of the lamp. To do this, transfer the width of the MDF to the center of the edges cut in their length by drawing the lines.
6. Then prepare the edges of the two ends of the letter and position them next to the cut letter. Screw steel chair brackets to the level of the guide line, so that the letter can rest on it.
7. Screw the two edges to the cut letter.
8. Repeat for all edges.
9. Add dots of glue in the corners on the back to consolidate the junctions between the edges.
10. Turn the letter over and sand all sides so that they are level.
11. Paint the letter in the desired colors. We have chosen a light gray for the interior and a dark gray for the exterior.
12. From the back, position a globe in each hole.
13. Then take the rectangular pieces previously cut, then use them to block the bulbs from the back. To do this, apply a point of glue on each piece of a pair, then tighten them against the base of the globes.
Your light letter is now finished! It can decorate your interior or even your garden. It is also a great idea for a personalized gift!
Did you like this tutorial? Send us photos of your version of this DIY on our Facebook page, and find other ideas on our Pinterest!